Lindy Circle News - Bal Revival Online & Strolls
We plan to continue the Bal Revival virtual socials every Tuesday and plan to incorporate some solo jazz - starting with Dean Collins' Shim Sham. You can also just join to listen to some DJ swing music if you like. See below for details and an updated link to join.
We plan to continue running virual socials every Tuesday evening until we can get out dancing again for real. We had a suggestion to incorporate some solo jazz, which we think is a great idea. We won't be teaching routines per se, because our virtual socials are a bit more informal, and there are many great teachers already running online lessons - do show them your support! However we thought it would be a great opportunity to practice some strolls, and we are happy to offer some tips if anyone has questions on specific moves.
We may do a few strolls each week but will start off with a focus on Dean Collins' Shim Sham. You can see a video of this here (note that this is Dan's interpretation): http://www.lindycircle.com/video/dean_collins_shim_sham.avi. We think this is a great routine to have a go at without worrying about copying the original exactly - Dean actually did not like people copying his routine! This is why we do our own interpretation rather than trying to precisely replicate what Dean did. We therefore think it's great to have a go at joining in even if you don't know the moves, and improvise with your own moves instead! And the great thing about doing this remotely is that if you're shy about not knowing it you can always move off camera! Although of course joining in is optional so feel free to just watch.... and have a laugh at Dan trying to remember it.... ;)
When: Tuesdays 8pm to 9pm-ish with the main stroll at around 8.30. You don't need to be there for the whole time - just drop in!
If you need the meeting ID or password, they are:
Meeting ID: 822 6298 6066
What: A video conference social with DJ'd music and the option to join in and dance and/or chat. You will join into a "main room" where you will be able to chat with us and other participants. When you join, we will invite you to join a second "breakout room" where we will be playing DJ'd swing music. You can switch between the rooms whenever you like depending on whether you want to chat or dance or just listen to the music!
Below are some tips if you haven't used Zoom before... you can skip the rest of this email if you're already familiar with it....
You should be able to join from any smartphone, or any computer or laptop that has web access and can play sound. If you have a camera and microphone we strongly encourage you to enable them to join in and interact with us! Although this is optional - it's fine to join and just go to the "dance room" to listen to the music. You can also send text messages via the Chat option in Zoom to interact with us even if you don't have a microphone or camera. You should be able to join even if you don't have the Zoom app installed, but you will get a better experience if you download the application to your computer or phone. You can set this up ahead of time from https://zoom.us/. In the Settings page in the app you can test the Audio and Video settings to check that everything is working, but don't worry if it isn't - we will try to help you on the day!
Tips while you're in the conference:
- Move the mouse over the screen to see the toolbar at the bottom (it's hidden by default!).
- In the DANCE room, the DJ music will mean that we can't really hear each other talk. Mute your microphone if you can because it might cause a small amount of interference. (MUTE button on the toolbar in the bottom left corner).
- Enable your microphone in the CHAT (main) room (UNMUTE button in the bottom left corner).
- Enable the GALLERY VIEW so you can see everyone at the same time (button in top right corner).
- Enable your video in both rooms so we can all see each other (unless you really are shy).
- Use the BREAKOUT ROOMS button (on the toolbar at the bottom) to change to the dance room.
- Once in the dance room you can use the LEAVE BREAKOUT ROOM button (bottom right) to go back to the main room for a chat.
- Feel free to use the CHAT button to instant message the group (on the toolbar at the bottom) - especially if you need help with something, or don't have a microphone!
- We won't necessarily be able to keep an eye on both rooms at the same time so please bear with us if we're not there.
- We need to manually give you access to the breakout room, which we will try to do asap, but feel free to get our attention if you have been waiting for a while and we haven't added you.
- Feel free to exit the event and re-join, or just mute your microphone and video if you want to drop out for a bit, or just want to listen to the music.
Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions or trouble setting up.